Denomination: St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church
Location: 413 Main Street, Geneseo, ND 58053
Pastor: Rev. Robert Smith
Education Place and Time: Religious Education Classes
Parish Secretary: Diane Siemieniewski
Phone#: - 4339
Cemetery Board Members: John W. Manikowski,
Brief History: The first settlers arrived in the year 1882 at what is now called Kingston Township. By 1887 this township had about ten families. Father Lokorski of Grendville, SD celebrated the first mass at the George Bauch home.
A wooden church was constructed by the pioneers under the direction of John Anderson in 1890. The total cost was twelve hundred dollars. The church was officially established on July 16, 1907. In 1915 Father Maluski came as pastor. By this time the parish had about 50 families. This was capacity of the church. A grave problem confronted the settlers because the church was crowded. Should they extend the wooded structure that was 26 years old or should they build a new church?
In 1916 a contract was drawn up with Hancock Construction of Willmar, MN to erect a brick building with seating capacity of 320 people. The building was started in the spring and finished by fall of the same year. The building with furnishings cost $24,600. The trustee’s in office during the construction were John Kaczynski Sr. and Frank Siemieniewski.
The rectory was built in 1906 under the direction of Frank Skroch.
Since this time the church has had several improvements done.